Johnathan Chew, an undergrad in Singapore, took house the MasterChef Time 3 trophy on July 3, 2022.
The 23-calendar year-outdated dental university student at the National University of Singapore (NUS) edged out two other contestants in the finals to acquire the title, as nicely as a amount of prizes worth a lot more than S$100,000.
- S$17,000 hard cash (together with S$7,000 from DBS Financial institution)
- A reserve publishing offer with Marshall Cavendish
- More than S$4,000 well worth of Nespresso machines, capsules and accessories
- House and kitchen area appliances from KitchenAid and World-wide Knives, and an unique black edition Thermomix
- An internship opportunity with Chef Gaggan Anand’s culinary crew
- A Fullerton Hotel staycation and spa package deal
A slim win
Instead of competing with only one other contestant in the finals, Chew experienced to fight it out with two other residence cooks— a 1st for show’s background.
They are visual arts instructor Azwandi “Andi” Robani, and auto income advisor S “Nares” Nareskanna.
The three contestants experienced to prepare a three-class meal of appetiser, primary, and dessert for the 3 judges, chefs Audra Morrice, Bjorn Shen and Damian D’Silva.
Every single dish was provided a score out of 30 by the judges.
After the next study course, Andi exited the competition for possessing the most affordable combined score, leaving Chew and Nares to battle it out more than dessert.
Chew came up with a lemongrass meringue tart, though Nares produced a deconstructed mango tart.
At the close of the night, Chew gained with a complete of 76.5 points out of 90, beating Nares by just 1.5 details.
The champion’s two other dishes ended up:
- Savoury tang yuan (Chinese glutinous rice balls) with mushroom bacon duxelles (finely chopped filling) and mushroom dashi broth, and
- Seared grouper with lemongrass beurre blanc (French butter-based sauce), charred kailan, picked kumquat and lemongrass crisps
Chew, who experienced taken a leave of absence (LOA) from school to take component in the show, said in a media assertion that he was “so proud” to be Singapore’s future MasterChef.
“This moment has normally been a dream of mine, and clinching the trophy will motivate me to chase right after all my other foods dreams—like opening a bakery with my mum, which I really feel is now inside of access.”
Top rated screenshot via MeWATCH